Monday, February 7, 2011

Day Three: My Parents

This is a really hard post to write! I thought it would be easy, but I realized there is so much good to say about my parents that I would have to write a novel. So, here's my attempt to write stuff about my parents in just a few fragments:




My Mom: Very humble, quiet, shy, and doesn't like the spot-light but very strong. Supportive, busy, hard worker, woke up at 2am to do paper routes when I was a kid, worked on Bachelor's degree from when I was in 2nd grade to the semester after I graduated. Has had a lot of sadness happen in her life, but always able to find a way to be happy.

Short story: After my dad died, we recieved a large settlement from the insurance company. The very first thing she did was write a check for tithing.


My Dad: Very fun and funny, was a "daddy" to his girls. Always knew how to have a good time. An excellent teacher to both his children and his primary classes. Died when I was 12, and this experience has been a defining moment in my life. His memory remains the great testimony of what bring happiness and the power of eternal families.

Short story: When i was 9 I started a paper route. My dad helped me do it every morning at 6am. We would race down the street, each taking a side, and who ever won had to buy the other hot chocolate. The great secret is that he bought the hot chocolate every time.


Rulon: My step-dad, very happy he became apart of our lives, loves my mom a whole lot, gives great advice, a good example of faithfulness and gospel commitment.

Short story: Before Rulon and mom got married, he and i were flying together down to Utah to meet up with my mom. He had never married, and I knew this, so I told him, "You can't have one foot in our lives and one foot out. My sister's and I couldn't handle if you just suddenly left because you couldn't commit." That very same weekend he proposed to my mom, and he has been "all in" ever since.


My in-laws: Excellent example of faith, raised 8 extremely happy, healthy, faithful children, give excellent advise and guidance, is willing to help through anything, some of the happiest people I know.

Short story: When I was having Clara and my mom couldn't come, my mother-in-law, Sue, came down and helped out so much during that time. Her presence and help brought me so much comfort during a time in my life when I was scared and very unsure of myself. Also, I still have some excellent meatloaf in the freezer from when she came and made TONS of delicious food.



If you must know, that was a LOT shorter than it was going to be. I've been blessed with such excellent people in my life that it's hard to keep their descriptions so short, and it hardly can live up to the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment