Saturday, February 12, 2011

Day Seven: A Moment

Ok, this whole post of "A Moment" is weird to me. So I'm going to take this "moment" and explain several music things that annoy me.

First of all, I'm not trying to offend anyone. These are just things that happen to annoy me, and I don't think that anyone who disagrees with me is an idiot or anything. I just wish I could fix it. This is just MY opinion, and frankly it's probably pretentious and snooty.



Ok, without further ado, I'm taking a MOMENT to explain Amanda's Top 5 Musical Annoyances:

5. This last week in church I heard a choir sing. They were pretty good. But they sang one verse with just them men. And the men sang the tenor and bass part. No melody. Um... first rule of choir directing: you must always have the melody singing. It doesn't have to be the top part, but the melody needs to be somewhere in there.

4. Phantom of the Opera is not an opera. I swear. I know the word "opera" is in the name, the work itself is a Broadway show. A good one at that! I've seen it twice. It's about an opera, but it is not itself an opera. So, no, I haven't sung a lot of songs out of there.

3. Playing the hymns too slowly. Please, please, in the name of all that is good and holy, PLEASE speed up the hymns! I'm dying here. ALWAYS err on the fast side. If you can't play it that fast, fake it. I can't stand to sing "Praise to the Man" one more time 50 bpm.

2. Along with the previous point, if you see the time signature 6/8, please don't make it 6 beats in a measure. That's not what they mean. Cut it in half and make it two. Look, lets just make a deal that faster is ALWAYS better when it comes to the hymns.

1. No, I don't like American Idol. Yes, they all make me cringe. Also, if I could, I would totally give Taylor Swift voice lessons. She's cute, she's sweet, but she really needs to breath from her diaphragm.


I'm really not mean. These things aren't that big of a deal. But I've wanted to spell them out forever, and I was given a moment...

5 comments:

  1. I'm no good at singing or anything, but I've always thought it was weird how all ward choir arrangements involve one verse of everybody, one verse of just girls, one verse of just guys & one verse a cappella, in no particular order. It doesn't have to be schnazzy to be beautiful. Often times, I wish they'd just sing the hymn with one cohesive style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree about hymns being played WAY too slow!!! It would be nice if people would play how it should be played, or conduct how it should be conducted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the hymn speed 100%. I love "I know that my Redeemer lives," but people have a tendancy to play it so slow that it takes nearly 10 minutes to finish...not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, you and I were meant to be friends. Slow hymns irk me, especially when the pianist/organist doesn't follow the chorister or when the chorister doesn't know how to direct and goes super slow cause they are unsure about directing. I also am not a fan of American Idol, it's a big fat joke to me and it irritates me if I don't see the choir director cut off or bring in their choir. IT REALLY GETS UNDER MY SKIN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to the too slow hymns! I think Sis. Christensen ruined me for that cause she plays ALL the hymns at warp speed! Haha.

    I love in church when ALL the songs are conducted in 4/4....even if they're not. And whoever decided that Come, Come Ye Saints should have a different meter thrown in there was playing a cruel trick on the rookie RS Choristers. haha

    And how do you feel about clapping along with musical performances? Cause personally, as a band nerd... I HATE IT! :)No one claps on the beat and progressively they get slower and it's usually not at a hoedown.

    ReplyDelete