Friday, August 31, 2012

Cute Clara Stories - Obedient Child Edition

I love that I'm getting to that part of parenthood where I have stories.  Cute little stories about a cute little girl.

Clara is consistently a pretty obedient child, especially for only being 1.  Sure, she has her moments (like the entire time we were in Utah for Kaitlyn's wedding... that was torture), but when she feels secure and knows her environment, she almost always does what I say.

Back in July when we were in Alaska, Grandma Hull was doing some baking for Kaitlyn's reception up there.  They were making those peanut butter cookies with Hershey's kisses in them.  Clara's 5 year old cousin Hannah was up on the kitchen bar helping Grandma by unwrapping Hershey's kisses.  They decided they wanted Clara to help too.  I was a little nervous; Clara didn't know what Hershey's kisses were, but how long until she put on in her mouth and realized it was chocolate?  And then made a huge mess?  But Grandma and Hannah were insistent, and so up Clara went onto the bar to help.  And she did really well for about 5 minutes!  Then she did it... she put one in her mouth.  Grandma saw and said, "Clara, no, don't eat it!"  Grandma swears she saw Clara practically roll her eyes, sigh, take the chocolate out of her mouth, put it on the counter, and then proceeded to spend another 15 MINUTES unwrapping Hershey's kisses and decidedly NOT eating any more (ok, so maybe she has an attitude about being obedient...).  Hannah got bored before all the Hershey's kisses were unwrapped, but Clara stayed until they were ALL unwrapped for Grandma.  What one year old does that?!

While we were in Utah, we shared a hotel room with Jordan's brother Michael and his wife Anna (who got a kid free weekend!).  I was feeling a bit guilty that they had to share a room with us and Clara, and I was really worried she would wake them up.  She definitely did wake up a few times in the night and woke them up, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.  But the most amazing thing was the mornings.  Mike and Anna would wake up about half an hour to 45 minutes before us and start getting ready.  They would see Clara awake, and Clara could see Jordan and I still sleeping, but she wouldn't make a sound.  She just smiled at Mike and Anna as they got ready, and quietly waited until Jordan and I woke up.  No, really, what toddler does this?

When it's time for naps or bed, I always ask, "Clara, are you ready for sleep?" and she ALWAYS says, "No!"  Of course she doesn't want the fun to end.  But then I say, "Alright, let's go upstairs!  Time for naps!" and she obediently follows me up.  Today she even ran ahead of me and yelled, "Let's go!" and hurried me up the stairs.  I had to go into another room once we got upstairs, and when I came back I expected her to be running around like a crazy person expecting me to chase her down.  But no, there she was, in her room, laying on her back right next to the diapers, waiting patiently for me to come change her diaper before I put her into her nap outfit.  AND SHE'S 1!

Anyway, she is such a fun kid, and it's been so great that she's been obedient.  It makes me not feel too anxious to have another baby.  She seems to have learned what it means to be "gentle" and she always reacts to when we say "no."  Of course two kids is going to be an adjustment, but I would be lying if I said I didn't feel totally grateful Clara was my kid.  I really believe her sweet and kind disposition is going to make all the difference in the transition from 1 to 2 kids.

2 comments:

  1. awwww I miss her, and you, and your belly, and since I haven't seen him in a while, I miss Jo to. But mostly Clara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sweet I am glad you are having so much fun with her and she with you almost ready for #2?

    ila, kyle, warren, and logan

    ReplyDelete