Thursday, August 16, 2012

Pregnancy Update

Well, I'm entering the last weeks of pregnancy.  I'm almost 34 weeks pregnant, and man am I feeling it!  The heartburn... oh the heartburn.  Bending over is basically something I avoid at all costs.  I try negotiate out of picking up Clara.  Oh, and the evil, evil restless leg syndrome.  Did anyone else have that?  It's SO annoying.  Sometimes I just feel like my leg HAS to move, at the most inconvenient times.  

The biggest, most painful difference between this pregnancy and the last are my contractions.  Well, I think they are technically just painful Braxton-Hicks, but they have been with me since about 16 weeks.  If I get too dehydrated, if I walk too much, if it's too hot... all of will make me have some pretty breath-taking contractions (not in a good way).  The last time I got the flu, I got so dehydrated so quickly that I ended up in the hospital because my contractions were so very painful.  Honestly, I haven't had contractions that painful since I was in labor with Clara, and I had pitocin and my water was broken.  This weekend my contractions were particularly annoying because I was at my sister-in-law's wedding, where we were staying and walking all over temple square.  It was hot, lots of walking, not enough water... it was all very slow going.  And the kicker is that I"m feeling pretty certain that it's not even going to mean I get to have Lucy early.  I'm almost totally certain I will get to 40 weeks and then some... sigh.  

At my appointment yesterday, the first thing the nurse practitioner said when I laid down was, "Wow!  That's a big belly!"  Yeah, thanks lady.  :)  Anyway, when did my stomach measurements, she was pretty surprised to find out that I'm measuring at 38 weeks, when I'm only supposed to be 33.  Granted, that measurement isn't the most accurate, BUT that's kinda a big difference.  So she sent me into an ultrasound.  Lots of good news: the baby is head down and unlikely to flip back (yay!), the baby has hair, and a chubby belly (I love that technology can tell us stuff like that!), and everything is looking good.  She IS measuring big.  They couldn't tell me anything official, but I saw the numbers on the screen.  I should be 33 weeks, and she was consistently measuring at 36 weeks.  Now, this might not mean much, and I acknowledge that this is also a pretty inaccurate measurement (I can't tell you how many people were told they were having 10 pound babies and ended up having 7 or 8 pounders), but it would make sense.  My due date was pushed back by a week early in my pregnancy, of which I have been extremely suspicious.  So if you move my due date to September 20th, and then realize that Clara was ALWAYS measuring 2 weeks ahead through the whole pregnancy (even though I'm almost certain her due date was correct), then it would all make sense.  I just have bigger-ish babies (Clara was 7lb 13oz at 39 weeks), and my original due date was correct.  Anyway, I don't necessarily believe I"m going to go into labor weeks and weeks early, I could even go to my current due date (September 29th), and I"m not particularly worried about a big baby, I think my body deal with it.  More than anything I like feeling knowing there's a reason that I feel extra huge, and that perhaps I was right the whole time about my due date (ha!).  

The most amazing thing this pregnancy has been how quickly it's gone by!  I know I still have 6ish weeks left, but those days are filled wtih busy times with a little girl, cleaning, and hopefully some BYU football here soon.  Today I was making a list of projects I want to get done before Lucy is born, and I"m feeling motivated to get stuff done and feel just totally ready for this baby.  I'm so excited to meet her!  


2 comments:

  1. I get restless leg syndrome when I'm NOT pregnant and it magnifies tenfold when I am. I feel ya! This last time around I also felt like my feet were on fire. joy. I know all about making big babies! Janen was 9 lbs 8 oz and born right on time. Elsie was 10 days early and 7 lbs 12 oz. But you know what, I love chubby babies! I probably already told you this, but Lucy is a darling name. One of my favorite old fashion names. But James didn't agree with me. boo. Good thing he agreed with Elsie cause that was another old-fashion favorite of mine.

    I'm sorry your braxton hicks contractions are soo painful. I hope it means labor and delivery will go super fast for you (but not super fast you have the baby in the car on the way to the hospital. LOL!) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, big belly big belly big belly. Oh yeah, big belly!

    ReplyDelete