Saturday, May 26, 2012

The one about our summer plans...

When I found out I was pregnant, and due in September, I knew I had to get out of Phoenix during the summer.  For as long.  as.  possible.  I was headed to Alaska anyway to attend my friend Katelin's wedding, so I just decided Clara and I were going to hang out there for, oh, 6 weeks.  I go between being totally stoked to spend the summer in Fairbanks, to feeling horribly guilty about leaving Jordan behind.  Last summer, we were in Alaska for 4 weeks, but Jordan was there for at least 1 weeks of that.  This time, because we're trying to save his PTO time for when the baby comes, he's stuck in Phoenix all by himself. For 6 weeks.  Poor guy.  I also feel a fair amount of guilt for separating Jordan and Clara for such a long amount of time.  Probably because of my own issues with my dad passing away, the thought of keeping Jordan and Clara apart just breaks my heart.

That being said, clearly my guilt isn't enough for me to suffer through 120 degree heat all summer, so Alaska here we come!  Summers in Fairbanks are so perfect... 70 degree weather, sunny all the time (and by "all the time" I literally mean 20 hours of daylight), hiking, camping and playing on playgrounds!  Both sets of Grandparents live up there, along with Jordan's sister Courtney, so I'm looking forward to all the time Clara can spend with her family.  My little sister Elyse (5) and little brother Liam (3) just love Clara to pieces, and I'm certain Clara is going to love chasing after them.  Her cousin Hannah will LOVE having another little girl around, and I'm hoping to see Courtney's family as much as possible.  (I better put in a note about how much Clara is going to LOVE spending time with her aunt Melanie, who will be very upset about being left out.  I'm counting on you as my #1 baby-sitter, Melanie!!)

As for me, I look forward to spending quality time with my mom and sister and to taking Clara to all of my favorite places I had has a child.  I love Fairbanks so much and I often feel a strong sense of homesickness.  I would love to move back and raise our children up there.  That doesn't look like a strong possibility (few Actuarial jobs for Jordan), but I can dream, can't I?

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I work 8-5 M-F, and would love to spend my evenings and weekends babysitting or playing with everybody! (And about that sun, remember, it does rain too-but thats also fun to play in!)

    ReplyDelete