Friday, May 25, 2012

The one about the new baby


We're having a baby!  And I am totally, completely stoked about it.  I see new little babies, and my heart gets all a-flutter, and I just want the next few months to fly by.  I'm also willfully ignoring all my memories of the sleep deprivation and hours and hours of nursing that comes with a newborn.  And I'm not even thinking about how to do all of that with a 2 year old on top of it!  Because... well, it's a sweet new little baby!!

And the baby is a girl!  While I would have been overjoyed if we were having a boy, I'm really, really happy for another little girl.  And since I'm sure I can't keep it a secret, the name we're almost certainly going to use (barring any divine intervention) is Lucy.  Clara was actually supposed to be a Lucy, but I vetoed it when I realized I had 3 other friends who were pregnant at the same time who were ALSO having Lucy-s.  This time, there's no wiggling out of it, Jordan is adamant.  Don't worry, I think the name Lucy is darling, I'm just super sensitive to crazy popular names (being 1 of a gazillion Amanda Johnsons).

It's been really fun actually knowing the gender and having a name this time around.  I can vouch that it definitely adds a connection that I didn't really have with Clara during her pregnancy.  Don't get me wrong, it was SO fun waiting to find out the gender with Clara.  I was SURE she was a boy even up until I was pushing and the nurse asked me what I thought I was having.  And when she came out, and was a girl, it was instantaneous for both of us: She was Clara.  (AOn top of that, not knowing the gender prevented me from going out and buying a bunch of girl stuff I couldn't afford because we were unemployed at the time).  But with this baby, I poke at her, call her sweet little Lucy, try to get Clara to call my belly Lucy... it's really fun.  And now that we aren't totally broke, I can buy really cute little girl outfits when I see them!

I'm about 22 weeks, and Lucy is WAY more wiggly that I remember Clara being this early.  And she has a set schedule more than Clara did... every night as I'm going to bed, it's like a bouncy castle in my tummy.  This pregnancy has been milder than it was with Clara (thank goodness!), which I think has to do with the fact that I knew to take my unisom from the moment I felt morning sick.  I still have to take half a pill at night to keep the nausea at bay (I had to take a unisom the whole pregnancy with Clara), and no matter what I do I feel nauseous after eating, but overall it's been much more tolerable this time around.  And I am SO excited to meet her.  I love imagining what she's going to look like, what her personality will be like... sigh, these next months can't go by fast enough!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! I'm so excited for you! It's funny, growing up I always thought that I wanted both boys and girls. I wanted my first two children to be a boy and a girl so I knew I would have both. But now I'm totally fine if we have all girls (I might regret saying that when they're teenagers...especially if they turn out like I was). Having a boy would be awesome, too, but it's interesting how things change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AUGH!!! I finally got caught up on blogger and just noticed this happy little post from you! CONGRATS!!!! I'm so excited for you guys! :)

    ReplyDelete