Saturday, December 4, 2010

Our first Christmas alone...

So, I've been anxious about our first Christmas by ourselves. It does help that we have a baby now, but she's a little immobile and basically only gets excited about eating, not too much for presents and Christmas. However, during my long drive back from Missouri, I thought of lots of ways to make this Christmas special for Jordan and I! Here's a couple of my ideas:

-Listening to LOTS of Christmas music. One of our favorite methods is to live stream in 103.9 in Fairbanks, which plays all Christmas music, plus we can hear commercials from Fairbanks, which makes us feel at home. (Weird, I know). Also, on Pandora I can listen to all Jim Brickman-like piano Christmas music. AWESOME! Music, check

-Putting up our tree! I'm so happy I got one last year! It's nothing grand, but it is taller than Jordan and I, which is probably a weird request, but because it's taller than us it feels like a real Christmas tree.

-Lots of baking, warm stews, and egg nog. Yum. Just warm, yummy seasonal food to get us feeling Christmas-y.

-Decorating sugar cookies! We did this when I was a kid, and I LOVED it.

-Gingerbread houses! Last year discovered how useful melted sugar was to create cement hard houses...

-Some sort of service project...? Certainly delivering goodies to friends, but maybe going to an old folks home to sing Christmas songs? A 12-days of Christmas project to a friend? Ideas are welcome...

-Going to the BYU choirs Christmas concert. THis might be tricky, because we can't bring the baby, but we'll see what I can pull off... :)

-Watch It's a Wonderful Life and Elf. Maybe Harry Potter. We recently bought all the Lord of the Rings DVDs for a total of $6, so we plan on watching a marathon of those on Christmas Day.

-We already started, but listening to Chronicles of Narnia on CD. Particularily the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe felt nice and Christmas-y.

-Caroling! Or at least getting together to sing Christmas songs...

-Going to the temple. Also tricky with the baby, but I'm very committed to going sometime this Christmas season.

-Going to see the lights at temple square!

Anyone have any fun Christmas traditions they do at Christmastime to help Jordan and I get through our first season alone? I'm thinking about trying to bundle the activies in a "12-days before Christmas" thing. So, one night we'd decorate sugar cookies, another we'd watch It's a Wonderful Life, etc. Please comment if you have any cool ideas!

2 comments:

  1. Let me watch your baby! Pretty please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those all sound like great ideas! We always have to watch frosty the snowman and the grinch who stole Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete