Thursday, December 23, 2010

Caramel Recipe

Well, I love caramels. I like light caramels that have a more vanilla-y flavor. I like caramels that don't stick to your teeth, but that are really soft. Well, I'd never made caramels before, but I found this recipe and it worked out great! The first time I tried them I cooked them too long and they came out in one big long sheet of caramel hard candy. Tasted good, but we had to throw it away because we had no way to break it up into smaller candy pieces.

I tried it again, with alterations to the temperature with the elevation (apparently, for ever 500 feet above sea level, you're supposed to kick down the temperature 1 degree. That means here in Provo, everything is down a whole 9 degrees! Freaky!), and it turned out much better. I love the flavor and texture. So, without further ado, here's the recipe! Enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tbs vanilla
  • 2 cups light corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 cups granulated sugar (I like to use baker's sugar, which is a lot finer and makes sure that it has a great texture, but you don't have to).
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter, cut into small cubes

Preparation:

1. Prepare a 9x9 pan for big caramels, or for more smaller ones use a 9X13 pan, lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a medium-large saucepan combine the corn syrup, water, and granulated sugar over medium-high heat. Stir the candy until the sugar dissolves, then use a wet pastry brush to wash down the sides of the pan to prevent sugar crystals from forming and making the candy grainy.

3. When the temperature of the corn syrup, water and sugar hit about 230, combine the cream, condensed milk, and vanilla in a small saucepan, and place the saucepan on a burner set to the lowest heat setting. You want the milk and cream to be warm, but do not allow it to boil. (I don't like it when a skin forms on top of this, so put off warming the milk and cream as long as possible. If I need it warmer faster because I misjudged the time, I just turn it to a higher heat and stir continuously. It needs to just be warm, so I dip a clean pinky in to make sure it's warmer than room temperature, that works pretty well. It certainly doesn't have to be scalding or anything).

4. Insert a candy thermometer and reduce the heat to medium. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and cook until the thermometer reads 250 degrees (for Utah, go to 245 - I know that's not 9 degrees under, but it's safe because it has worked for me! If you live in a different location, look up your elevation and adjust accordingly).

5. Add the softened butter chunks and the warm milk-cream mixture. The temperature should go down.

6. Continue to cook the caramel, stirring constantly so that the bottom does not scorch. Cook it until the thermometer reads 244 (in Utah, go to 235-236), and the caramel is a beautiful dark golden brown. (I like to check mine using the hard ball test: take some really, really cold water and drop a little bit of caramel in. Wait 10-15 seconds, and then feel it. It should hold it's form, but squish in your fingers under pressure. You can taste it, and it shouldn't be too stringy and shouldn't stick to your teeth. I found if I test it and it seems just under, go ahead and pour it in the pan because it will continue to go up a few degrees after pouring).

7. Remove the caramel from the heat and immediately pour it into the prepared pan. Do not scrape candy from the bottom of the saucepan. Allow the candy to sit overnight to set up and develop a smooth, silky texture. (I have to wait at least 24 hours, possibly because my caramels are a little softer).

8. When you are ready to cut the caramel, place a piece of waxed paper on the counter and lift the caramel from the pan using the foil as handles. Flip the top of the caramel onto the waxed paper and peel the foil layer from the bottom of the caramel.

9. Spray a large knife (or kitchen knife) with nonstick cooking spray. Firmly cut into the caramels, creating 1” squares. Wipe the blade and re-spray as necessary. I wrap them in clear plastic squares. There's fancy things you can do with wax paper too... I'm just lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment