Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ok, I have a history with chocolate chip cookies. I started to bake chocolate chip cookies when I was 7 years old. I got really good at making them. I figured out how to make it so they were the perfect texture and oh so tasty. I had... "the magic cookie touch."

And then I moved to Utah. And something happened. I lost the touch. They always turn out flat and lame texture. They taste alright, I guess, but... they just aren't super great.

By far the BEST cookies I've ever had are my sister-in-law Anna's: ah, so perfect. Good volume (not cake-y, but not flat), a nice lovely color, perfect size... and just utterly delicious. Anna has mad skills... "the magic cookie touch." :) Sadly, I do not have such skills (it MIGHT be Utah's altitude, I'm not sure). I've tried to replicate her recipe with not such good results (it is better then mine from my childhood, but I still can't do it as well as she can.)

So, that being said, I have discovered a "dummy proof" chocolate chip cookie recipe! Basically, all you do is replace 1/2 cup of sugar for a package of vanilla pudding mix. Here's the recipe:

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

I cut the recipe in half because this makes a LOT of cookies. I am curious as to what different flavored pudding (like white chocolate) would taste like. So, if you have lost the "magic cookie touch" like me, you can make these!

4 comments:

  1. I use to have the cookie touch, too! Unfortunately, Utah has ruined me and my cookies always turn out flat now. Oh, and I've totally made this recipe before and its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the high altitude. Rexburg was TERRIBLE. Try googling high altitude cooking for some tips. I did a project on this in Biology back in the day. Basically you're at a higher altitude, so liquids boil faster and that impacts your cooking. Boring, I know. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I had the SAME problem! My solution is to use BUTTER flavored crisco! It is magic!! If you are leery of using all crisco, you can do half butter and half crisco. Also, use more brown sug. than white, because it doesn't melt as fast. AND if you want more "cake like" cookies, use baking powder instead of soda! :) I learned all this from the food network! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alright so it's been a while since I read your blog, you are too kind. I am glad you like my cookies, but I think I am going to have to try those vanilla pudding cookies, they sound super yummy. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete