Wednesday, November 18, 2009

He said he didn't have a required number of sources...

Ok, this is my favorite (... or the worst) moment of the week so far. Background: At the very beginning of the semester, my 20th Century Music teacher sent us a syllabus. On that syllabus it said, "You will be required to write a 15 page term paper, topic to be approved by me." Ok, that's fine. The school year began. I got busy with the class and the professor never, ever verbally mentioned the research paper in class. He doesn't mention it until THIS Monday, 4 weeks before the end of the semester, finally giving us the requirements for the paper. Ok, maybe it's a late start, but I can still do this. Someone asked how many sources we're required to have. Here, let me outline the conversation for you:

Student: "Dr. Johnson, how many sources will be required for this paper?"
Dr. Johnson: "Oh, I don't have a requirement. Just as many as are needed."
Student: "Oh, alright."
Dr. Johnson: "That being said, if you have anything less than 20-25 sources, I'm going to think your paper is suspect."
*stunned silence by class that includes gaping mouths and blinking*
Dr. Johnson: "You know, I wouldn't be too surprised if some of you have 100 sources! Just get as many as you need."

So... basically... you say you don't have a source requirement... but you do? Oh... ok. Thanks for being so clear.

I have also recently discovered the joys of pumpkin ice cream! Oh. My. Goodness. It's amazing. As Jordan has distained over, I love fall because I can enjoy all things pumpkin! (Jordan likes pumpkin things, but has this crazy idea that our lives need "variety..." silly...). So far, I have had pumpkin ice cream, and I've baked pumpkin bread, cupcakes, cookies, and muffins. I'd really like to find a good pumpkin soup recipe, too... the weird thing is, I'm actually not a big fan of pumpkin pie. This might be some weird mental carryover from old Thanksgiving (like the way I still don't like cornbread), but it's just never my favorite. I have a theory that maybe I don't like pumpkin pie so much, but I probably will love pumpkin cheesecake. I'll try to make one of those too...

The other big news is that my sister Robin got her mission call! This is so exciting for all of us! She's the first (and probably the only) Johnson girl to go on a mission. Her's call is to Fresno California, and she enters the MTC on February 17th! I'm SO excited for her!

I'm getting anxiou to get out of Provo for a little while and head to Missouri! We can't wait to see Megan, Ben, Mandy and Casey! Yay for vacations!

No comments:

Post a Comment