Sunday, March 17, 2013

Lucy in 2013 (so far)

Not to be forgotten, Lucy is growing like crazy!  She's going to be six months old on Tuesday, and I can hardly believe it.  In many ways, I feel like Lucy and I are finally starting to hit a good groove together.  I'm meeting her needs, and she's starting to sleep on a consistent schedule... (that's all I ask!  Sleeping on a consistent schedule!)

It's so interesting to me to look at the differences between Clara and Lucy.  For instance, Clara has always been a bit slower to pick up on talking and language.  She didn't babble much as a young baby, and has remained a quiet toddler.  Lucy.  Oh my goodness, Lucy is a talker.  She's just crazy social.  While Clara was content to play by herself quietly, Lucy wants to be engaged.  It's great that she's a second kid, because Clara is great at engaging with her and getting her to play (making the demands on mom easier... yay!).

On the other hand, Clara made up for her lack of interest in talking by moving.  That girl was an early sitter, an early (and vigorous) crawler, and was running at 11 months.  Lucy doesn't seem as interested.  She's about six months old, and although we practice daily, she doesn't sit up on her own yet.  I'm not worried, but I find the contrast between my two girls (one a mover and quiet, the other a talker and content to be still) fascinating.

Oh, and I cannot tell you how excited I am that they really seem to like each other!  It's amazing!  I'm sure things are going to get more contentious as Lucy gets a bit more willful, but for now, it's so perfect.  Clara loves having an audience, and Lucy loves being an audience.  Lucy doesn't care if Clara takes her toy, and Clara loves to take her toys (sigh....).

I adore Lucy's dark hair and long, dark eyelashes.  I'm sure this is mostly my mother's bias, but I can't get over what a pretty baby she is.  I mean, it's ridiculous.  That skin, those cheeks, that DIMPLE, those big eyes with beautiful dark eyelashes.  Ridiculous.

While Lucy is turning 6 months old this week, we're still just barely venturing into solid foods.  Honestly, I'm lazy.  Even after goign to a baby food making party (and now I have TONS of homemade baby food!  Yay!) I'm still slow about actually pulling out the food and heating it up and spooning it in for Lucy.  And she hasn't taken too kindly to anything I've given her.  She's interested, definitely.  She's always grabbing at my food when I'm eating, and she's fasinated to watch us eat at dinner, but if I try to spoon anything for her, she makes the funniest faces, and then refuses to open her mouth.  I'm sorta waiting until she can sit up on her own, and then I think I'm just going to give her basic finger foods, I don't think she likes the spoon to mouth thing.

She is such a happy baby who loves to interact and play, and we sure do love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment