Saturday, March 9, 2013

busy season has hit...

.... and honestly, I'm not sure if I'm ready!  Things get crazy for Jordan at work every year between March and the first few weeks of June.  He often works 10 hours a day, and there will be many days where he works 14-16.  It's not my idea of a good time.  Frankly, it's not Jordan's idea of a good time, either.  We just have to push through, and know the majority of the year, he works a relatively easy schedule.

To ease this time for both of us, I decided to go to Alaska for the entire month of May and into the first  week of June.  That way Jordan can work 14 hour days and not feel guilty, and I am not stuck at the house by myself with kids for days on end.  Also, my family hasn't met Lucy yet (except Robin!), and I know they are just dying to see her.  And finally, if I'm going to get on a plane with my 2 little kids, the trip better be totally worth my time!  The great news is that on my way there, my sister Robin and my beloved aunt Renee (with her new baby) will be with me for my flight up.  All I have to do is survive my trip back alone with two kids.  I can pretend that's never going to happen, right?

We've started to add some really great things to our house to make it a home.  The biggest thing is our new, amazing, beautiful piano.  I love it.  Oh, how I have missed having a piano.  It makes me feel connected to the world I used t be apart of.  It makes me excited to teach my kids music, and to play the primary songs so they know every single one.

I've started to teach a couple of voice lessons.  My first student is this great gal I managed to recruit off of craigslist, and she's pretty much a perfect voice student.  Practices, doesn't want to sound like Kesha, comes to me with perfect questions that lead into great voice lessons... really, amazing.  Really, the only drawback is that she's really nervous and won't sing in front of me!  We finally discovered a system that I think works for us: she records herself singing at home and sends it to me.  It's been fun to be problem solving and thinking about singing again.

Jordan's in mourning that BYU football is over.  BYU Basketball doesn't really cover it, especially on this down year.  He's also disappointed the Jimmer is way under-utilized for the Sacramento Kings.  Free Jimmer!

The weeks are going by so quickly.  Soon, busy season will be over and we can function as a normal family unit again.  Yay!

2 comments:

  1. OH I hear you! Dallas has a busy season from Jan to April with about the same hours and it is rough. I hope you survive it as it was a lot harder for me with a little one as this year has been. It was also our first year so that is likely the real reason! I am so glad you get to travel for such a long time and that you will have help. Also I am completely jealous of your piano!! I miss playing and I barely play. Enjoy it extra for those of us who can't yet fulfill that dream! Glad to hear so many good things
    are happening for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, this time of year is so rough for accountants! (If I remember correctly, that's what Dallas does, right?) So lame! Good luck. :)

      Delete