Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Family of Four

It is fitting that my 100th post would be to write a new baby joining our family.  When I started this blog, Jordan and I were newlywed students at BYU, not even pregnant yet.  Now, we've just had baby #2, sweet, sweet baby Lucy.



Isn't she just the bee's knees?!  We all just love her to pieces (obviously).  I think she looks just like Clara, and Jordan agrees.  He took a video of Lucy in the hospital just after she was born, and came home that night and compared it to a picture of Clara when she was just a few weeks old, and they really do look the same, except Lucy has all that dark hair.  Speaking of her hair, I just can't get enough of it!  Clara didn't have this much hair until she was 15 months old, so I kinda feel like I'm in little girl heaven right now.  Lucy, as you can see, is also quite the little chunker.  At 8 pounds, 14.7 ounces, and 21 inches long she came a week earlier than Clara did, and is a whole pound heavier (which makes me feel so better about how huge I was at the end of my pregnancy... it really was all baby!).  

So far, she's also been a bit higher maintenance than Clara was at this age.  I'm not sure if this is going to last (it'd be great if it didn't!), but for now Lucy definitely has a bigger, more demanding cry and is a bit more persnickety.  Clara's always been really laid back about things like temperature and dirty diapers. Our second night in the hospital, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why Lucy was crying, until I realized she had a (very slightly) wet diaper.  Hello Mom fail!  Otherwise, she's been such a sweet baby.  

Speaking of Clara, she LOVES baby Lucy!  I had all sorts of people warning me in the hospital about 2 year olds and new babies and how they really don't mix.  I got some great advice to help Clara with the transition and I've been trying to implement it so that Clara feels involved and loved, and so far things have gone really well!  She's been extremely gentle and sweet.  She loves to point out Lucy's tiny body parts, and when Lucy cries she becomes very concerned.  She's helped me burp Lucy and loves to feel her soft hair.  I know this will probably not last forever, but for now I'm feeling grateful to have such a sweet and gentle 2 year old.


I just love having another squishy newborn at home, and I love my two girls.  Jordan is a huge help, as always, and we really are adjusting well so far.  I'm grateful to have help for the next few weeks to help transition to two kids.  Jordan will be home with me until Thursday, and then my sister comes for 10 days followed by Jordan's mom for another 7 days.  

It's amazing how you can have a baby, and it feels like they were always meant to be there.  I'm so grateful for how smoothly things have gone and for such healthy happy girls.  

1 comment:

  1. Wow congrats!! She is adorable. I love her chubby round face and big dark eyes! I also know how you feel about hair, isn't it a glorious thing? Although you will come to find it can be a pain but a worthwhile one! Congrats and I hope you are feeling well, that is a big baby to deliver!

    ReplyDelete