Saturday, July 21, 2012

3 little monkeys....


Clara and Elyse snuggling on the couch
One of my most precious experiences while visiting Alaska will probably be watching Clara play with my little sister Elyse, and my little brother,Liam. Her 5 year old aunt and her 3 year olde uncle. I remember enjoying it last year, but as Clara's social skills have grown, watching her interact with these two is a pure joy in my life. I'm sure I have documented well my guilt of leaving Clara's favorite people... Whether it be away from her dad for 6 weeks, or her grandma until who knows when, and I know I'm going to feel this way about taking Clara away from Elyse and Liam. Clara's first words in the morning are "Isie!" (We affectionately call Elyse "Lysie"). She waits patiently for them to wake up in the morning. Once, when Elyse walked in the room, Clara literally jumped for joy (hilarious, btw). They have gotten into such mischief together, which is both annoying and totally endearing.

Yes, that's my mom and 3 toddlers in a body of water (ok, Elyse is technically a "big kid")

Several times during my visit, I look into the backyard and I see Clara joyfully running after Elyse and Liam.  They love to jump on the trampoline, which makes me terribly nervous, but I don't want to be one of those moms that's afraid of everything that's fun, so I go with it (I do have to scold Elyse for jumping too hard!  Her answer is that "Clara likes it that way!"  Which is true, of course... I wish my child had some fear).  They play in the sandbox, play with blocks, bang on the piano together, and read stories.
Coming in for lunch after playing outside in 50 degree weather.  It was darling to actually see Clara in a coat. We don't even own a coat in Phoenix.

What's been most fun is to see how Clara progresses when she spends time with them.  I swear her vocabulary grew about at least 20 words during a one week period we were staying at the house.  She just hears them talk and wants to be apart of it.


At Alaskaland for a community dress-up party.  Clara was dinosaur, Elyse was a princess, and Liam in the background was a penguin.  

It is such a joy to be here for the summer.  We've already been in Fairbanks for a month (!!!), and I have just over 2 weeks left.  I'm excited to see Jordan, but I'm already feeling a little stress to be leaving.  I just love being here, and even though it's been a very rainy summer, I have soaked (ha) it all in, knowing I have about 2 months left of summer and pregnancy when I get back.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy how much they pick up from older kids! I've been babysitting my nieces (5 and 8) several days a week since December and Peyton has learned so much from them. Not all good things haha but she's talking a lot more!

    ReplyDelete